Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Beginnings....

A lot of posts on this blog are just going to be pictures of what I'm up to. Here's the corn planter being built out of plywood and 1x 12s.


The plywood is outdoor-rated (meaning the glue can stand some abuse), but it's not pressure-treated: I didn't want the harsh chemicals around food I was going to eat. 

I also didn't treat the wood with any kind of sealer, as a partial experiment: Since it's hard to find an eco-friendly sealer, I want to see how quickly this wood rots away. I'm confident it will last a season, but maybe not much longer than that. This thing will be too big to store over winter. If we are successful, I don't want to have to make a new planter every summer. There are tomato planters I built that do have a light sealer on them, so at the end of the summer, I'll compare them to the corn planter. 

There is a slight lip at the edge of the bottom which will be a base for attaching some supports later. 


Roughly 4' x 5'

My neighbor has an entire farm planted on her roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment