Saturday, May 18, 2013

Boom. Take That, Rodent.

If necessity is the mother of invention, PVC is its basic cell structure. You can do almost anything with it. It's cheap, sturdy, easily sawable, etc.

Only a few hours after discovering my corn's demise, I have a squirrel baffle in place:

Shown: PVC. Not shown: chicken wire, elbow fittings, staple gun.

Support posts. 

Cross bracing. 

Complete! 
The top panels are removable for access. They are held on with the green wire, which is gardening "training wire." I basically "sewed" the top and side panels together with it, but the wire can quickly be removed like a "zip-strip" when I need to get in there. The bottoms of the side panels are stapled to the box. If you remember the ledges I created when the box was put together, you can now see how they are supporting the corner pieces.

The whole thing will cut the sunlight a little bit, but it will only be on until the stalks are 2 feet tall, and by then, I will have to build something larger to defend against wind anyway.

Total cost: 2 hours, $41. And I finished in time for one of my hometown's signature events, The Preakness!

To paraphrase Bill Murray (badly), Au revoir, squirrel.

Imprisoned, but also protected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment